VHD or VHDX files are crucial system files, and it is used by Microsoft virtual computers. Have you never created a VHD or now you are looking for how to recover data from VHD files? So read the article carefully and know everything about VHD recovery.
What is the VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) File?
VHD is a file format which stands for a virtual hard disk drive. It may carry what is found on a physical hard drive, like disk partitions and a file system, which in turn can carry files and folders. This is used as the hard disk of a virtual machine. VHD generated with Microsoft Hyper-V, Virtual PC, Virtual box is basically a disk image sort of file format that is used to store the entire data of a hard disk.
Therefore, VHD and VHDX files make it possible to form various operating system to exist on a single computer. It is a great application for developers. Developers can test the same tool in multiple operating systems without facing any problem. With this user don’t need even second hard drive. Users don’t even have to partition the existing hard disk in various volumes.
How to Generate VHD or VHDX File?
Generating VHD and VHDX format file is simple. But before users start, users need to define the reason for generating one. Consequently, you can generate the VHD file with the Disk Management Feature. Here’s a look at the method:
Generate VHD File with Windows Disk Management feature
To generating VHD file users have to follow a few simple steps:
- Firstly go to the Desktop. Right hit on ‘My Computer’ and then hit on ‘Manage’.
- Hit on ‘Disk Management’.
- Hit on ‘More Actions’ on the right side of a window and then hit on ‘Create VHD’.
- A Create and connect Virtual Hard Disk window will open. Browse the needed location for saving the VHD file.
- Specify the file format and select from 2 options – ‘Dynamically Expanding’ or ‘Fixed Size.’
- Then hit on ‘Ok’.
- The Virtual Hard Disk will be created accordingly.
Reason Behind Data Lost from VHD File
There are multiple reasons behind data loss from VHD files few are mentioned below:
- Due to Virus attacks
- Storage media failure
- Software Malfunction
- Improper System Shut-down
Because of these reasons, your data is corrupted and your VHD files have become inaccessible. If you are suffering from the same then here is the solution that I mentioned below.
Recover Data From VHD File by Generating Virtual Machines
VHD File Recovery can also be done by generating a Virtual Machine. Mentioned below steps you have to follow:
- Generate a New Virtual Server and then add a new hard disk to it.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and choose the created hard disk then, browse to the VHD file that needs to be repaired.
- Open the Virtual Disk Wizard and choose the ‘Compact’ option, then choose the ‘Convert it to a fixed-size virtual hard disk’ option.
- Now you can save this VHD file with a new file name.
- This will successfully compact the VHD file, and then you can mount it to the original server.
Recover Data From VHD File By Using Automated Solution
If the above-mentioned steps are not able to recover data from VHD file then, you can try the third party software named as SysTools VHD Recovery Software. It is easy to use anyone can use this software. This software can also able to recover accidentally deleted, formatted data from VHD file. This application supports to recover corrupted VHD and VHDX file. This best thing is that you can install this software at any version of Windows.
Steps to Recover Data From VHD File
- Launch and Run SysTools VHD Data Recovery Software on your Windows system
- Then click on the open button from the Menu bar
- Navigate to the destination where you have saved your VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Drive) and browse. But the virtual disk should be unmounted.
- Now the software will provide you various options, select the required one. To recover data from the vhd file. Check Advance Radio Button and from Scan type.
- After completing the scan execute the tool will provide you the preview of restored items in software panel.
- Now click on the Save button from the software menu bar and provide the location to save restored files. And finally, go to the location and display lost or damaged virtual hard disk files in a healthy state.
SysTools VHD data recovery software has the ability to recover data from VHD file. It can recover all types of damaged or corrupted data from VHD or VHDX file. In this post, we mention two methods of VHD data recovery you can choose any method of data recovery. Now it is your turn takes decision wisely.