While we can’t deny the fact that children are raised and formed as a human being by their parents, we can’t also deny the aforementioned statement, which reflects the true role of education in a child’s development. Infact saying that the process of a child’s education starts in the womb, from the stories and songs that expectant narrates won’t be wrong.
However, as a child grows and the brain develops, the responsibility becomes a shared responsibility of parents, relatives, society, and educational institutions to ensure holistic childhood development. Having said this, a major role in early childhood development is undoubtedly played by a preschool.
What is Holistic Childhood Development?
Holistic education is an educational philosophy revolving around the development of an individual’s social, emotional, physical, creative, artistic, spiritual, and intellectual potentials. Under the education Operandi, the schools emphasize on honouring and knowing the self, learning to set achievable and realistic goals, while spontaneously keeping a track on the path you have chosen to achieve your goals.
As defined by Ron Miller, Pioneer in Holistic Education;
“Holistic education is a philosophy of education based on the premise that each person finds identity, meaning, and purpose in life through connections to the community, to the natural world, and to humanitarian values such as compassion and peace. Holistic education aims to call forth from people an intrinsic reverence for life and passionate love of learning.”
Ahmedabad: A city developing at an unprecedented rate
In the last few years, the city has shown tremendous growth rate. The seventh-largest urban agglomeration is the former capital of Gujarat and its largest city. In a report released by RBI in 2012, the city was ranked seventh largest credit center across the country.
Amidst all this, and people from other states shifting to Ahmedabad, a staggering growth has been noticed in a number of preschools in Ahmedabad, contributing to overall childhood development in the city. While on one side there are so many options in front of parents, it has become difficult for them to evaluate the one that is best for the overall development of their child.
How to find the best preschool in Ahmedabad?
However, with so many options around, it is crucial to understand the one that fits best for the holistic development of your child. To help you with the same, we have here listed some of the essential points a preschool should consider in order to be effective. Let’s have a look;
- Has deployed and retained teaching staff that can introduce a number of pedagogical styles to not just engage the students but also ensures holistic childhood development while boosting their intellectual qualities.
- Should be equipped with seamless professional development that allows teachers to develop and grow.
- Has well-defined academically rigorous programs that test students and challenges them to reach their complete potential, while ensuring that each subject is learned with similar dedication and understood with equivalent importance.
- The school is focused on making students prepared for life after school.This one plays a significant role as the starting years of a child’s growth notice around 90% of the overall brain’s development and imparting these will indeed prepare the child for life ahead.
- A reliable curriculum, which has a broad scope and reinforces the mission and vision of the school, while promoting, equality, peace and reconciliation, social justice, equal opportunities, cultural awareness, respect, human dignity, eco-literacy, solidarity, and rights and responsibilities.
- Builds support structures fulfilling additional needs of students, including the ones that are less able, gifted and talented, and speak English as an additional language.
- Develops and keeps healthy relationships with parents and other stakeholders to ensure that no stone is left unturned in early childhood development.
- Though last in the list, but not the least. The school introduces value-based programs to ensure overall development in regards to, socially, physically, morally, and spiritually.
Before signing off
A child’s overall development is directly influenced by numerous factors, in which numerous people play a significant role. Having said this, besides academic development, it is important that your chosen preschool in Ahmedabad also focuses on delivering your child’s intellect in other fields like social and moral. According to the report, a child’s brain is developed to 80% by the age of 3 and 90% by the age of 5. Having said this, the early years, play a determining role in the holistic childhood development of your kid. This is the reason why child experts always recommend parents to ensure overall education, learning, and understanding of kids at their early age.