When we refer to an emergency in dentistry we mean the sudden pain or discomfort caused by a trauma or by a tooth injury.
These injuries are most of the times very painful, so they need almost immediate and effective attention. When a child comes to the consultation with urgency dentists have to take into account the physical and mental differences that it has in terms of an adult patient, this involves calming the child and trying to understand that we are here to help him and not to make him hurt.
Characteristics of possible emergencies:
The most common emergency visits are usually divided by:
- Pain due to decay and all its complications.
- Pain caused by a blow or trauma.
- Pain due to soft tissue injuries (lips, gums, buccal mucosa).
- Pain from cavities or other complications.
This is usually the main reason for consultation, which has started as small caries that have never bothered, continues progressively, causing irreversible damage to the child. Normally, when a child comes to the emergency room, it is because caries has already penetrated the dentin of the tooth, even touching the dental pulp, causing an acute pain of pulpitis.
How does the kid dentist should behave?
- When the kid dentist visits the children, his/her attitude will be very clear: he should know how to take the situation by showing a very safe and empathetic attitude so that they gain confidence with the child since this is the only way in which we will be able to work with safety. You can also prefer online search on kids dentist near me for such emergencies.
- Whenever you are dealing in consultation with children, the kid’s dentist have to make everything a game and something very simple, show that nothing is traumatic, he will always try to maintain communication with the children and thus make them participate in the treatment in a relaxed way.
- It is very important that doctors have the full support of the parents since many times when the children see the parents nervous. They enter a state of distrust and nervousness that is not productive.
- The parents have to understand that the dentist is the one who is going to solve the problem and that therefore within the consultation he will be the one who manages the situation. In most kids dental care, for the most part, they act in a collaborative manner and are constructive support for the child. You will get such a treatment center by going through an online search of kids dentist near me.
Tips are given by emergency dentist for kids:
- The first thing is that you keep the visits to the kids dentist with your children, this will make it much easier to prevent possible problems afterward and in this way you make sure you do not have surprises, it is recommended that at least once a year you ask for an appointment with your doctor, If everything is perfect, it is a very quick visit that also helps to reinforce the confidence of the child with the dentist.
- Currently, extra-school activities such as sports are very common in children, it is recommended that whenever there are sports like the case with karate or basketball, the child always has his mouthguard, it is common to visit emergency blows in sports like these.
- It is very important to watch children, especially at an early age. Many times they have the habit of putting things in their mouths and running around the house with them. You have to educate them in that sense, they have to know that a bad fall could injure the oral cavity and this would be a good scare.
- Another very important point to keep in mind is that many times children get used to opening bags or plastic cases with their teeth. This is usually a frequent reason for soft tissue damage. It is recommended that you teach them about it. Do that because if they continue with this habit, when they grow up they will open all kinds of containers with their teeth and it is something that has a lot of risks.