A Complete Guide to Understanding & Mastering Creative WritingAugust 2, 2022
Creative writing is one of the most valuable skills a writer can acquire. The ability to tell incredible stories; who doesn’t want that! After all, it took a creative mind to help us explore the world of Narnia.
And we fell in love with the magical world of Harry Potter due to Joanne Rowling’s ability to create masterpieces. But, what exactly is creative writing, and how do you become one? To know all about it, first, you need to know the meaning of creative writing.
What is Creative Writing & What are Its Types?
As opposed to journalistic writing, creative writing requires heavy usage of the writer’s imagination skills. Poetries, novels and original movie scripts are a few creative writing examples. To become creative, you need just one in-built quality: an imaginative mind. If you have it, the rest will follow. There are 8 types of creative writing. They are as follows:
- Movies and television scripts
- Personal essays
- Fictional literature (novels, novellas and short stories)
You can choose your call from these creative writing types and start working on your masterpiece.
What are the Ways to Improve Writing?
Now that you know the types of creative writing, it brings forth an important question. What are the ways to improve creative assignment help writing? Firstly, writing comes from within, and you get better with time. That said, there are a few habits you can pick up to improve your creative writing and give your piece a unique touch. These habits are:
- Read everything you can find: From poetries to novels and newspapers, you mustn’t stop reading. Understand the difference between various types of writing. Furthermore, find out how the author has established their characters and what sets the prime character of the content apart from others.
- Become a keen observer: You cannot create original content unless you observe the things around you.
- Identify the flaws: While reading an author’s book, find out the flaws in its content and which part you enjoyed reading the most.
- Start writing your journal: If you have this habit, great! But if you don’t, then it’s time you keep your diary and keep updating them every day. You can note down the things that amused you throughout the day and the things you found annoying.
- Boost your imagination power: Create characters in your head and jot them down in your journal. It will help you create characters for your piece.
- Rewrite a famous story: Pick up any book and start writing it in your own words. Change the characters’ where you want to, bring a new ending to each chapter and see how it goes.
- Write every day: No matter how little, make writing a daily habit. Once you start writing daily, your writing skill will improve and keep you motivated.
Creative Writing Topics for Practice
Several topics can help you explore your inner being and bring out the writer in you. So read on and choose your favourite topic:
- A family member: Write about a family member you are close with. It can be your siblings or your parents. Write about their character and why you rely on them the most.
- Your bad habits: Write about your bad habits, what’s stopping you from letting go of them, when did you pick them up, and why do you find them comforting?
- Your awkward moments: Write about your most embarrassing moments. What led to those moments, your feelings, and how did you overcome the situation!
- Yourself: Writing about yourself is the best thing you can do to explore. Pen your likes and dislikes. Note about your self-perception and one thing you would like about yourself.
Creative Writing Courses
You will find several creative writing courses online. However, assignment writer website, Coursera and Khan Academy are some websites offering great creative writing courses.
Outcome after taking MyAssignmenthelp.com’s creative writing course:
- Identify and analyse literary crafts and choose your genre
- Develop a personal writing style and apply creative writing techniques
- Become confident about your writing style and apply individual strategies to your content
Outcome after taking Coursera’s creative writing course:
- You can learn the technique of writing a short story
- You will gain in-depth knowledge in fiction-writing
- Achieve more creativity
- You will learn to proofread and edit your copy effectively
Learning outcomes after taking Khan Academy’s creative writing course:
- You will learn to pen down your perspective on paper
- You will learn to establish your characters
- You will learn to structure your story
Creative Writing Tips
Creating your original literary piece will take time. However, a few tips will help you polish your content. They are:
- Write about the things you know:Build your story’s backdrop in a setting you are acquainted with. For example, if you have never been to South Korea and do not know their culture from within, don’t imagine a Korean character for your story.
- Give birth to new characters:Create original characters for your story. Give them names, and pen down their habits, likes and dislikes. Your journal can be helpful while building new characters.
- Read what you write:After writing one chapter, read and revise it, find out the flaws and not them down. You can change it after you complete your story.
- Hook your readers:You cannot force your audience to read your story. For that, you have to hook your readers. For example, use punch lines to make your audience laugh; end your chapter with a cliff-hanger. These factors will encourage your writers to keep reading.
- Make your characters talk: Give your characters voices, accents and choices of words. Make them converse amongst one another. Your readers should connect with your characters.
- Show what you need to tell: Don’t describe your characters too much. Instead, show their nature through their state of mind, conversations, likes and dislikes.
- You have one shot: You might think you will get better with time, but when it comes to creative writing, you have only one shot. Try to achieve perfection with your first draft. You have to aim high to achieve high. Give your best, and you shall receive your best.
- Seek the opportunity and use them:If you think you will find hours to work on your first novel, you are mistaken. Most aspiring writers don’t get ample time or opportunity to work on their first story. Instead, they use whatever time they get to pen down their story. Similarly, it would help if you made most of the time and opportunity you get every day.
Novels and screenplays you can read to understand creative writing better:
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (Novel): Read this novel to understand the contrast between primary characters through their dialogues and state of mind portrayal.
The Truman Show by Andrew M. Niccol (Screenplay): Read this screenplay to understand how to stand apart with your script and story.
So, here are all the technical details that will assist you in becoming a good my assignment help storyteller. Of pay for assignment course, to become the best, you have to be passionate about your job. Follow these tips, and don’t give up on writing. You have it in you. Best of luck!